Monday, April 27, 2015

Life as a Capitol Hill Intern: Part II

Briefings, Hearings, and the Art of Crafting Memos
After getting situated my first week on the Hill, I began to attend briefings and hearings. It was amazing! I loved the grandiose rooms in which the events were held, the senior Members of Congress whose remarks I was able to hear, and the plethora of free food. Attending hearings and briefings has been one of my favorite parts of my internship.
The first hearing I attended was definitely the most impactful one.  On February 25th, I attended the Legislative Presentation of the Disabled American Veterans to the Joint House and Senate Veterans' Affairs Committees. The event was powerful and moving. The room was filled to capacity, and at least three hundred of those in attendance were members of the Disabled American Veterans organization. It was an honor to be in a room surrounded by brave men and women who stood up for our country. The main purpose of the hearing was for the Disabled American Veterans to emphasize to Congress the need to pre-appropriate funding for Veteran Affairs. National Commander Joseph W. Johnston’s closing remarks remain with me. He said “ We were there when our nation counted on us, and you can still count on us. That’s why this nation will never be overrun by enemy forces.” His words filled me with such a strong desire to support his petition, and I left hoping that Congress would increase the budget allocated to Veteran Affairs.
Another event that left me feeling as if Congress should allocate funds for their proposed legislation was a Briefing on the Achieving a Better Life Experience Act, or the ABLE Act. The purpose of the briefing was to inspire interns and Hill staffers to encourage their Member of Congress to Support the ABLE Act. The ABLE Act seeks to “to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide for the tax treatment of ABLE accounts established under State programs for the care of family members with disabilities” (Govtrack.us). In essence, the ABLE Act would provide the funding necessary for continued research towards improved treatment and possible cures for muscular dystrophy and Duchenne’s disease. Although persuasive, this briefing was one of my least favorite. The stories shared were far too depressing for me.
One of the main reasons interns attend briefings is so the legislative assistants can get the information presented without having to attend the event. They get the information from the memos interns write. Crafting memos is truly an art form. In order to prepare Congressional briefings, experts in their respective fields prepare for weeks, sometimes months, by gathering and interpreting years’ worth of research. Then, they compress their data into several handouts and remarks that last anywhere between forty minutes to an hour. Lastly, they spend ten to thirty minutes answering questions from the well-read and well-informed audience. In order to write a memo, I must then condense all that information into a one page double spaced memo. Writing memos that reflect both the main ideas and the most crucial details is a careful balance, and one that I’ve gotten very good at maintaining.

Receptions, Mixers, and Coffees
Spend more than twenty minutes on the Hill, and you will undoubtedly hear the imperative to “network, network, network!” As a newcomer, it may seem odd at first, but soon you will understand what people mean when they say “this city runs on relationship.” Those relationships often get their start at networking events such as mixers, happy hours, and receptions. Luckily for me, Capitol Hill provides almost infinite opportunities to network.
Attending receptions has been one of my favorite after-work activities. Again, the free food is always a great perk, but that is far from being the best part. When I attended the 90th anniversary celebration of the State Department’s American Foreign Service Association, I met former Ambassador Laura Kennedy. When I attended the Cuban National Council awards reception, I met Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen. Later that week, I had lunch in her office with a member of her staff. When I volunteered at the National Council of La Raza annual gala, I ran into and briefly chatted with current US Ambassador to the Organization of American States, Carmen Lomellin. Capitol Hill receptions range widely in purpose, attendance, and even dress code. However, each event provides invaluable opportunities to meet people and is a stepping stone towards building relationships with them.
The next step in building a relationship is the follow-up. Following up with people you meet at a mixer, happy hour, reception, or any other event is vital to surviving DC. In this “town,” as the locals call it, who you know is extremely important. The entire city is filled with brilliant, motivated, ambitious people in all walks of life. Having a stellar résumé is rarely enough to get a decent job. Knowing where and when to apply is the key. Therefore, building relationships with people who might be able to help in your career is a common goal here. Those kind of transactional relationships have been my least favorite thing about life in DC.
Although not required by my internship program, networking is strongly encouraged. I was not as diligent about building those relationships as I could have been, but I justify it because I have one more year left of my undergraduate studies left. However, the real reason why I was not too motivated to “build relationships” by networking is because I do not believe real relationships are built that way. Meeting somebody at an event, following up with them on an informational interview, and then staying in touch via email does not sound like a meaningful connection to me. Many people dedicate themselves to expanding their network, and having coffee with as many people as they can. I, however, decided that instead of building a weak, albeit expansive, network is not how I want to do things. Instead, I dedicated myself to strengthening existing ties, and carefully nurturing new ties. I did so by reconnecting with former colleagues and employers, and by building meaningful relationships with only a select few number of new people I’ve met. As a result, I feel confident that although my circle of acquaintances did not grow as much as some of the other interns’ did, my circle of professional and academic references did grow. In the long run, I think the people with whom I built actual meaningful relationships, not DC “meaningful relationships,” are the ones who will be invested in my success.

Conclusion
                As my twelve weeks as a Capitol Hill intern begin to wrap up, it’s hard to believe I almost turned down the opportunity. Accepting it has been one of the best decisions I’ve made thus far. I think about all the things I didn’t get to do. I didn’t go to Gettysburg, I didn’t get a White House tour, and I didn’t meet my goal of visiting two museums per week. However, with an opportunity as amazing as this one has been, dwelling on what I didn’t do is silly. Reflecting on what I did do is awe inspiring.
                I was at an intern for the Washington, DC office of Congressman Joe Garcia. I attended the National Council of La Raza 2014 Awards Gala, an event that made headlines. I toured the Organization of American States. I guided constituent tours of the United States Capitol Building. I accessed restricted areas of the Capitol building complex. I introduced my congressman before he addressed the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute. I attended a film screening in the Capitol Visitor Center with Representative Tony Cardenas. I participated in a higher education summit and listened to the remarks of Congressman Ruben Hinojosa, Chairman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.
                Most importantly, however, I was immersed in a world I did not know existed. I had heard about politics of Washington, but I was still astounded about some of the things I witnessed. I had heard about the constant after-work happy hour events, but I never expected to be turning down requests almost daily.  But the good will always outweigh the bad. I was surrounded by amazing hardworking individuals who are all seeking to improve the world. Some of there were politicians and Hill staffers. Others ran nonprofit organizations. Others were involved in the private sectors. Yet they all had a zest for life and a motivation to use their skills to advance the welfare of others. My Capitol Hill experience has been utterly rewarding and life changing. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment